Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cloth

See the post below for some of Orrin's recent adventures.

I thought I'd put some pictures of our cloth diapering. So many people were skeptical about this decision, but so far its worked out pretty well. I am still having issues with leaking out the sides when I use prefolds, I just can't seem to get it tight enough around his legs (and they are definitely not skinny anymore!). If anyone has suggestions for me - please share!! But the g-diaper covers with either cloth inserts or prefolds stuffed in them, and the fitteds that we got as gifts and that I sewed are working really well! I've been checking craigslist often and some of the cloth diaper discount websites and diaperswappers because Orrin will soon outgrow everything we have! I have prefolds in the larger sizes, 2 fitteds, and 1 cover in the next size up, so we need some more covers at the very least. Orrin has been napping for about 3 hours every afternoon, so I think I am going to try to sew some more diapers soon, too. Especially since those have been working so well for us. Scott really loves the thirsties fab fitted, but we only have one and they are expensive so I try and leave that one clean for when he changes Orrin.
The only negative (which is really a positive) is that Orrin definitely feels the wetness in a cloth and doesn't like it! He could sit all day in a disposable happily, but screams when the cloth is wet. So I end up changing him more often (but what do I care, since its free!). We haven't tried cloth at night yet, but I think we can soon since when I get up with him at 4:30am, he is usually still dry.

Here he is modeling a prefold (look how chubby he is getting!):

The snappis make putting them on so easy!

Here's one that I made
This is the Thirsties fitted - it is so soft and trim and nice!

And a wrap style cover goes on top (I use Thirsties)
Using cloth makes his bottom so big, though! I have to use a bigger size onsie and pants.
So there you have it - cloth diapering isn't so bad! I wash them about every other day. That doesn't bother me since it seems that I need to do regular laundry almost that much anyway. I even made my own cloth diaper detergent for super cheap. (you can't use most regular detergents since a residue can build up on the diapers causing them to repel liquid) And I'm able to hang dry everything on nice days.

2 comments:

Show Yourself said...

Isn't he getting huge?! Wow! :) The cloth looks great! I posted a comment back to you about the apples. Got pictures of Orrin's baptism? Sorry we missed it! Love you guys!

Show Yourself said...

(oops, this is Cara. Guess Trav is signed in.)