Monday, October 26, 2009

Advice please??

So it seems that Orrin suddenly realized that he has a mind of his own. For the past few days, he is refusing to take a bottle and sleep in his crib. We've never had any problems with either of these before. It started on Friday when I tried to put him in his crib for his afternoon nap. He cried and I let him go for awhile, then went and gave him his pacifier and patted him until he settled, and left. He cried harder and I waited for awhile, and went back in to repeat the process and left again. Then he screamed - like a hysterical scream. I waited again, but when I went back in I had to pick him up because he was just inconsolable. He screamed for a few minutes after I picked him up even. He seems to be this way, he just ramps up to a point where he can't calm down. Anyway, I probably undid my nap work.
Then last night, he did the same thing when we put him down at bedtime. It took probably an hour and a half, but he did finally fall asleep in his crib. But he woke after a half hour and screamed again. So we (actually Scott) started over, but it didn't take as long to get him back to sleep. The positive is that he did sleep until 8am without waking up!
Same thing with the bottle. Scott got up with him at 8 yesterday and tried to feed him so I could sleep in. He would not eat for Scott. He didn't scream about it though (so I did get to sleep in!). He wouldn't take the bottle from the lady in nursery yesterday either, even though he was definitely hungry.
Anyone have any advice to offer?? Especially about the sleeping in his crib. We've been reading up on sleep training methods and want to decide on one to try so we are both on the same page of what to do. I'm not ready for just straight crying it out yet, he just seems to young for that. Thankfully Scott and I are both just as stubborn as Orrin and neither of us will give in and let him sleep somewhere else (at night anyway, naps haven't been as firm which is probably why its a problem).

Just for fun - here's some pictures of our fun weekend in Ann Arbor for the Delaware state game (which we didn't actually attend). I was dumb and we didn't get pictures with Michelle or Joyce, but we did get to see them too!




Orrin at his first Step Show


Tailgating on Elbel (the band practice field)
In front of the director's tower

It was cold!!
Orrin and Scott in front of the stadium


Instead of the game, we went over to South U and got bubble tea, then headed up to Howell to visit the Freemans.

Colby and Orrin
This is what happens when Kevin holds the baby

Mason and Colby
With Kevin again, I'm not sure who they are waving at


Having fun with the camera
Sara with Orrin, Mason and Colby

We can't wait to visit again!!

2 comments:

Cara said...

Cute pictures!! Advice? So he's coming on 3 months old...Do you think he's going through or preparing for a growth spurt? You may often notice behavioral changes at these times. Keep on it and stay consistent but flexible (a couple naps elsewhere isn't going to mess up his schedule). You guys are doing a great job!

Sara said...

I'm thinking growth or developmental spurt as well. And, I second the remain consistent!!! It's really one of the greatest things. As for sleep issues, Kevin and I have the book "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" and we VERY MUCH recommend it. It helped SOOOOOOO much!!!!! (Did I emphasize how much we like the book well enough???)