Saturday, July 25, 2009

More Projects

Here's what has been keeping me semi-sane the past few weeks. More sewing!

This isn't anything I've sewn, but Scott and I sort of made these canvas things, I painted them and we put on the animal appliques. And as you can see, the crib is all ready for baby! (Even though he probably won't be sleeping in there for awhile after he is born. Like I said, I am bored.)

I made a cute little pacifier holder w/ a waterproof inside.

Since we are going to use cloth diapers, I made a wetbag to carry with us when we go out to hold dirty diapers. Again, it has a waterproof inside and is machine washable. Sewing the waterproof fabric (polyurethane laminate, or PUL) is kind of a nightmare, it sticks to the sewing foot and gets all bunchy.


And of course along the same lines, I made 2 diaper pail liners, only I didn't bother with any cute print on the outside.


After all the rectangles, I got a little more adventurous and tried my hand at making some diapers. There are a bunch of free patterns online so I tried one of them. I made 5 in the newborn size and am holding off on making any bigger ones until I can try these and see if they will actually hold anything. :) They're not so cute since I just used all the old fabric that I could find (the inner soaker layer is made of Scott's old t-shirts). And my sewing is pretty ugly, I haven't quite got the hang of curves yet. Or elastic. But they seem like they might work.
These are accessories to go with the above. There are microfleece liners (from what I've read they help the baby to feel dry, and poop just drops right off of fleece vs sticking to the flannel of the actual diaper), some inserts for extra absorbancy when necessary (3 layers of microfiber covered in flannel), and a couple of fleece covers. I made the inserts to fit in my g-diaper covers so they will work for that too. You wouldn't believe how many blogs and websites are dedicated to sewing your own cloth diapers and other related things!


I think this one's my favorite! I saw an ad for something like this that sells for $60 normally. I thought it was kind of cool, though, and seemed like I could easily make one. I just looked up the dimensions, then just tried to wing the rest. :) Again with the ugly sewing, but it is very funtional and I like it!
It is a tote bag that you can load up with toys/diapers/whatever:



But then it opens up into a soft blanket to play on! The outer fabric is water resistant nylon, and the inner is soft flannel, with a layer of soft batting in between. So it will be great for picnics, the beach, camping, etc. And it is of course machine washable.

And with that, I think I'm done sewing for awhile. My motivation for doing pretty much anything is decreasing by the minute! I'm just sitting and reading (loving the library!) and waiting at this point. I have decided, though, that if the heartburn/hair correlation is true, I'm pretty sure I'm going to give birth to a gorilla.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you crack me up! I love all the sewing projects especially the tote!! It all looks great from the pics. I can't wait to hang out with the baby, and well, you guys too. =) I just finished the Sookie Stackhouse series and I highly recommend them. If you can't get them at the library and want to give them a read, let me know as I bought the whole set. (I liked them that much that I bought them after borrowing them from my sister.)

And, this is Sara if you couldn't tell. I'm just too lazy to log off Jon's account, we're in town visiting him for a couple of days.