Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sunscreen

Let me add a disclaimer to this post - you can't study toxicology without going a little crazy (or at least I couldn't)! I took a developmental tox class where I learned that sometimes it takes one small exposure to something at the right time in development to have disastrous effects - with pictures and everything. So armed with that and other scary knowledge, and an abundance of time while I was pregnant to do research, I went crazy.

I don't share a lot of this craziness on here because it is a struggle for me to keep it all in perspective. Scott and I want the safest and healthiest life for Orrin, to be environmentally responsible, and maintain our budget. I make it my job to find ways to improve on these things, especially when it comes to Orrin. But I have to try hard to not obsess over every little thing (ie organic foods, the safest non-toxic toys, and making sure he is not exposed to harmful chemicals in our house). I have to remember that the absolute most important thing we can do by far is to make sure Orrin is raised to know and love Jesus. I have to take a deep breath and remind myself of this almost daily.

But a friend posted this link on facebook today and I'd like to share. (It essentially says that many sunscreens actually accelerate cancer, don't actually offer the amount of protection that they claim, and can cause hormone disruption - so you are protected from sunburn but not cancer.) (Something else to consider that is not mentioned - vitaminA/retinol are in lots of products, not just sunscreen - like cosmetics and acne and anti-aging treatments and are already known to cause birth defects in higher doses)

Earlier this year, I did a ton of research on sunscreens for Orrin and paid a crazy amount of money for the one I thought would be best (incidently, I did pretty well because it is on the safe list). But most people don't have time or energy to do that research (or the money to buy the safe stuff) and trust that what is in the stores is safe. And it should be! I get so frustrated by these things. Read this if you would like to get angry (and especially if you have little kids). And am just left to wonder what is in store for my future as a result of all that I have been exposed to (yes, I remember playing outside while the crop dusters sprayed practically in our backyard...) And I worry about Orrin's health because no matter how hard I try to protect him, he is being exposed to things out of my control. This is when the perspective comes in I guess.

But anyway, read that article please and take from it what you will. Go here if you would like to see which sunscreens are safe - basically the chemical-free ones which use titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are safe because they are not absorbed through the skin, they just sit on top. A warning, though, they are expensive and go on very thick and leave a white residue.

And if you are really feeling brave, go ahead and check this site out. You can look up all of your household cleaning and bathing/cosmetic products. I use it frequently, but it does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

And since I'm on a roll, I could seriously fill this blog with the information I've found, and the changes we've made to our household over the last year and a half. But I don't write that well, and there are several other great blogs that do just that. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Passionate Homemaking

Mindful Mama

SafeMama

1 comment:

Cara said...

Arg. Good stuff (haven't checked out the links yet, have to go garden), thanks for the sunscreen link. I do the same thing, "God is in control!!!" and He is watching and keeping care over my kids. Thank You God! Cause the rest scares the crap outta me!